Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 20:33:45 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        Robert Simmons <rsimmons@wlcg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: theo

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

On 2002-01-25 18:05:37, Robert Simmons wrote:
>=20
> Lets say someone has a machine they don't have console access to, but they
> know that the OS comes back every time they reboot the fucker.
>=20
> The kernel is on the old hard drive, with the swap garbage.  The brand
> spanking new OS is mirrored on a twed.  How can I tell that the core
> team's brand spanking newly de scriptkiddified kernel is the one that
> boots?  dmesg?

Unless this is not available in 4-STABLE (haven't seen one around here
for a while), you can always check out:

	$ sysctl kern.bootfile
	kern.bootfile: /boot/kernel/kernel

Anyway.  About those security alerts.  The very fact that they *are*
coming out, in my personal view, means that someone is actually
looking into those security problems and people that develop FreeBSD
don't just hide their head in the sand, and shout "NO, NO, WE ARE NOT
EXPLOITABLE! WE NEVER WERE! GO AWAY NOW."  Accepting the fact that
problems do exist, in all software, and actually doing something about
it is a Good Thing(TM), IMHO :)

Cheers,

--=20
Giorgos Keramidas . . . . . . . . . keramida@{ceid.upatras.gr,freebsd.org}