Date:      Wed, 01 Sep 1999 09:41:15 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Minor patches to pwd_mkdb

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:29:58 MST, Jaye Mathisen wrote:

> Got tired of the dinky cachesize for pwd_mkdb, especially since vipw
> doesn't take advantage of the -u or -s options.

Vipw doesn't take advantage of the -u option? I must have read through
the code too fast.

> Dramatically helps on those 10-15k line password files.

What impact does your patch have on a loaded machine?

Since vipw already knows how many lines there are in the file, surely we
could get it to approximate an ideal cache size and pass it as the
argument to pwd_mkdb's -s option?

Ciao,
Sheldon.