Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:49:35 +0900 (JST)
From:      shudo@computer.org
To:        meshko@cs.brandeis.edu
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java for FreeBSD

Hi Mikhail,

> > > Mozilla requires java plugin which doesn't yet work in native jdk
> > > (requires native threading, people are working on that)
> >
> > That's a false story.
> > Java Plug-in does not require native threads,
> > and work with Green Threads.
> >
> > I could confirm it on Linux and Fuyuhiko Maruyama achieved it on FreeBSD.
>
> Have there been any information about that on this mailing list??

AFAIK, Not yet.

> I remember a lot of discussion of how it's absolutely impossible to get
> plugin working with green threads.

I could also remember. Once I almost believed it.  But my version of
Java Plug-in can invoke a Java VM which uses Green Threads on Linux.
Fuyuhiko said he could achieve it on FreeBSD independently.

Java Plug-in consists of two parts, a shared library
(javaplugin_oji.so or javaplugin.so) and an executable (java_vm).
First a web browser loads the library. Next the library do fork(2) and
exec(2) the executable to create a process which becomes a Java
VM. The created process and the web browser are different processes,
so the created process can use a different thread library from the web
browser. The invoked Java VM can use Green Threads, even though the
parent web browser needs native threads.

I thought of using JIT compilers for Classic VM like shuJIT and
OpenJIT with Java Plug-in. But the original source code of JDK 1.3.1
Java Plug-in is written as invoking HotSpot Client VM. I tried to
change the source code so as to invoke Classic VM. Then I found the
structure of Java Plug-in in which there are two parts. I tried Green
Threads and succeeded.

  Kazuyuki Shudo	shudo@computer.org	http://www.shudo.net/