Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 16:30:18 +0900
From:      NAKAGAWA Yoshihisa <y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>, Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any success with CirrusLogic 6729/6730???

> No.  The PCCARD bus is not an ISA device, nor is it an ISA bus.  But I
> was referring to the pcic device itself, which is also not an ISA
> device.

This message is opinions of PAO and newconfig people (me too):

---

An ISA PCIC is undoubtedly an ISA device from the hardware's point of
view. It has an ISA bus interface, and is connected to an ISA bus side
of a PCI<->ISA bus bridge (south bridge).
Why do you call it as "not an ISA device" ?

As we repeatedly said, We are going to treat a PCI PCIC as a PCI
device, and an ISA PCIC as an ISA device.
This has several merits as below:

- This is a natural abstraction which matches hardware connection
  topology.

- We can apply UserConfig to an ISA PCIC. (PAO can use it.)

- FreeBSD's current pcic code doesn't work with the machines which
  has both an ISA PCIC and a PCI PCIC. The notebooks which has this
  problem are populer in Japan. In our method, this problem goes away.

Why do you ignore the hardware connection topology, and stick to
"an PCIC is NOT an ISA device" ? What is the reason ?

--
NAKAGAWA, Yoshihisa
	y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp