Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:15:59 +800
From:      "Adrian Chew" <adrchew@pop.jaring.my>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Proxy Server / Dial-Up Access...

I need some advice in setting up a proxy server via dial-up
access (dynamic IP allocation).  From my understanding this is
possible via the socks proxy, with the dynamic IP being allocated
to the serial port while the ethernet interface is allocated an IP in
an unused range (eg. Class C 192.168.0.*).

My objective is to get a small network connected to the Net
for WWW, FTP and email...  Netscape + Eudora clients on '95
and Mac OS.

I'm not too sure how to set the client configuration and if there
are any limitations to the proxies.  If I configure PPP to do dial-in
on demand, configure and run socks, configure TCP/IP on the
local LAN, is there any requirements?  There is some mention of
how to resolve DNS and socks requiring DNS, so does BIND need
to be setup too, if so, which particular BIND setup (caching-only?).
Or specify a nameserver of our ISP?

Any further thoughts appreciated.  Btw, I'll be using 2.1.0R for now,
2.1.5 should be arriving in a few days.

---
Adrian Chew                         Email->adrchew@pop.jaring.my
Alternate Dimensions                Figure Skating World
"Cutting Edge Web Designs"          "Your Online Skating Source"
http://turnpike.net/~adweb          http://turnpike.net/~adweb/fsw
http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/htbin/pks-extract-key.pl?op=get&search=0xD384F34