Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 11:11:18 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: two make questions

# chuckr@chuckr.org / 2002-09-28 17:20:56 -0400:
> On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
>
> >     yup. or the fact that /usr/share/doc/psd/12.make/paper.ascii.gz
> >     documents conditionals in the form #keyword instead of .keyword
> >     (that might work, i haven't tried, but shouldn't the tutorial be
> >     updated? even if the # forms work they surely look deprecated from
> >     the fact that i haven't seen a single use in the system makefiles)
>
> Well, what you ought to use is the make(1) man page, which is reasonably
> decent.  The "#" command introducers don't work because "#" is the
> comment introducer.

    I didn't say (or mean) I got confused by the discrepancy. I read
    ports' Makefiles (and those in /usr/ports/Mk) quite often, and
    anyone can quite easily tell contents of the whole
    /usr/share/doc/psd directory is pretty old, so I had no difficulty
    figuring out the case. But outdated, misleading documentation can be
    worse than no documentation IMO. The tutorial should be fixed.

> >     hm, i don't think i made myself clear with the previous para. how
> >     about this: is the pmake tutorial mentioned above carved in stone or
> >     are updates allowed?
>
> That's a political question, and probably should be asked on current.
> The answer you're going to get, though, is to go ahead and write up your
> changes, and see what kind of a reception they get.  You won't get anyone
> to agree to give you permission to make changes until they see what those
> changes are.

    sure. I wasn't suggesting I wanted to commit (don't have commit
    access, either) any unreviewed changes.

--
begin 666 nonexistent.vbs
FreeBSD 4.7-RC