Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 09:56:26 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        Steve Roome <stephen_roome@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Niek Bergboer <niek@bergboer.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tagged Command Queuing support for IC-35L0?0 ?

It seems Steve Roome wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 07:20:30PM +0200, Niek Bergboer wrote:
> > Can these newer drives, based on the IC-35L0?0-chipset, also be used
> > with TCQ enabled in FBSD? (? is 2, 4 or 6 depending on whether the
> > drive has 20, 40 or 60 GB capacity).

Yes, and support has been committed to both -current & -stable.

> I've got one of these :
>
> ad0: 39266MB <IC35L040AVER07-0> [79780/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA66
>
> If I turn tagged queueing on, I get an awful lot of write failures and
> ata timeouts and whatnot. Basically it just doesn't work. **For me**
>
> I'm not blaming Søren Schmidt here! it could be due to broken
> hardware, code or just my sheer incompetence, but in the end I gave up
> trying, it didn't work with my last drive either, and that was a 30GP
> type drive (don't remember the model number though).
>
> As far as I remember there are apparently problems with some of these
> drives in terms of whether they even work when they leave the factory,
> but I've only ever heard that here (make what you want of that).

Well, thanks :)

Anyhow, the problem at hand is more like bad chipsets, there is ALOT
of ATA chipsets thats not working right when used the way needed for
tagged queuing. That said, the IBM DTLA's series of drives are extremely
picky about power (that makes them unusable in at least California right :))
which I've seen cause trouble on highly loaded machines. However I run
4 of them here locally with tags, and they get about as much beating
as they can handle, not a single error yet, so it definitly works, you
just need the right environment for them.

So what chipset does you machine have ? that could very well be the
problem here.

-Søren