Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2008 18:54:08 -0600
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, bug-followup@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: conf/119995: [patch] New rc.d script ddb to load ddb scripts from /etc/ddb.conf

--c3bfwLpm8qysLVxt

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 03:48:30PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> Robert Watson wrote:
> >=20
> > On Sat, 26 Jan 2008, Brooks Davis wrote:
> >=20
> >> IMO we want this in the base and ideally this script or the crash dump
> >> script would grow the option to mail text dumps somewhere
> >> automatically (off by default of course).  This should be as tightly
> >> integrated as we can reasonably make it.
> >=20
> > I think I'd like to see something along these lines in the base, as
> > offering tools to help autonatically configure DDB scripting isn't all
> > that different from offering tools to configure firewalls, run user
> > scripts, etc.
>=20
> I see a fairly significant difference, namely that the other things
> you mentioned are things that we expect all of our users to be able to
> and/or want to do. No one wants to debug crash dumps. :)

I think you've misunderstood what we're suggesting.  What all our users
want is to never run into any bugs and failing that to have a fix
magically appear the moment they do hit one. :)  I think this another
step toward more reliably providing developers the information they need
to discover and fix bugs that users hit.  I'd venture to say that 80-90%
of panic reports we receive are useless because we don't have what we
need to do anything with them and this is a step toward resolving that.
I'd really like to see 8.0 ship with textdumps on by default.

-- Brooks

--c3bfwLpm8qysLVxt

--c3bfwLpm8qysLVxt--