Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2002 06:00:20 -0800
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>, standards@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why I am opposed to a Standards Ghetto

* De: Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk> [ Data: 2002-10-27 ]
	[ Subjecte: Re: Why I am opposed to a Standards Ghetto ]
> > I'm talking about "strict" compatability/conformance
> > vs. "loose" conflict resolution, with the base system preferring the
> > latter, and the former being available to people who need/want it.
>
> I don't see much use for leaving stale BSD utilities around in /usr/bsd,
> if the default versions are backwards compatible with them.

I'm talking about the cases where they can't be backwards compatible.

> I feel like I'm missing your point...  :-(

Try thinking of it in terms of deprecation...

Interface X of thing Y has traditionally not existed in BSD, and conflicts
with interface Z, but is required by POSIX.  We decide we want to move
towards supporting interface X, and deprecate interface Z.  Thing Y gets
a version in /usr/bsd/Y which provides interface Z and not interface X.
The base system thing Y now provides interface X, and not interface Z, and
things requiring interface Z should use the traditional (/usr/bsd) version.

Also the reverse.

Interface X of thing Y has traditionally existed in BSD, and conflicts with
interface Z, which is required by POSIX.  We decide we want to keep interface
X, but provide interface Z for people and things which want it.  Thing Y
gets a version in /usr/posix/Y which provides interface Z, and not
interface X.  The base system thing Y continues to provide the BSD-traditional
interface X, and people and thingsd requiring interface Z should use the
POSIX (/usr/posix) version.

Does that help at all?

Thanks,
juli.