Date:      Tue, 7 Apr 1998 11:28:18 +0100 (BST)
From:      Julian <julian@ivision.co.uk>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 12.0 GB Quantum Bigfoot TX IDE seen as 8.4 GB

> > It appears that a second Quantum Bigfoot TX 12 GIG owner is experiencin g
> > the same problem -- freeBSD is recognizing it as only 8.4 GIG, and the
> > number of cylinders is getting capped off at 16383 (when it is actually
> > 23361). I am appending his post that went to freebsd-hackers.
>
> Yup, it appears we have a problem here, it seems as if we only support
> up to 2^14 cylinders. Does the probe line (dmesg) show the right
> cylinder count ??

Call me thick, and everything, but why can't it just be used in LBA/large
mode?  I seem to recall I have used disks in that fashion before, and
the figures for the bigfoot disks are

1465/255/63
and
11680/32/63

Which are both under the 16383 'limit' that seems to exist..  Or am I
missing something.  I'll admit I am out of my depth here.

Julian