Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 18:14:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ld and -soname

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Jacques Vidrine wrote:

> MM, that won't solve the problem which I'm trying to solve.
> I want an ``easy fix'' for the Makefiles in the world that
> have something like
>
> libfoobar.so.${VERSION}: ${OBJS}
> 	${LD} ${LDFLAGS} -o libfoobar.so.${VERSION} ${OBJS}
>
> I can't very well put -soname in LDFLAGS.

Yes you can.  When you use gcc -Wl,-soname -Wl,libfoo.so.1 you tell gcc to
pass -soname libfoo.so.1 to ld.  With FreeBSD's gcc, you can use gcc
-soname, but this is rather unportable.

- alex

| "Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern  |
| technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat." |