Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2018 14:21:24 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: drm2 in base

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 2:02 PM Steve Kargl <
sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 02:47:39PM -0500, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 11:00:02AM -0700 I heard the voice of
> > Steve Kargl, and lo! it spake thus:
> > >
> > > I have a radeon HD 6450 video card (CAICOS firmware), and have been
> > > informed that the hardware is too old for graphics/drm-stable-kmod
> > > and that I should use graphics/drm-legacy-kmod.
> >
> > Well, please don't tell that to the 6450 I've got running on
> > drm-next-kmod (which also spent some time on drm-stable)...
> >

> See the URL I posted.
>
> How did you get around the "fence_wait returned with error -512"
> messages filling /var/log/messages.

Ah, that thread...  OK. I'm back with you...

> It also does not get around the problem that
> drm-legacy-kmod has been advertised as the drop-in
> replacement for those that use drm2 and have older
> hardware.

It should be. The fact that it's not is concerning and should be
addressed...

> But, thanks for your constructive input.

Sure.  I'm trying to get the aspirational goals to match the code on the
ground, so knowing there's issues here or there is helpful.

Warner