Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:05:01 -0600
From:      Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        Piero <piero@poprostu.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gpdf vs acrobat for linux

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:21:28 +0100, Piero <piero@poprostu.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is a description of a problem I found using gpdf to read some
> online howto. I found that out trying to view this document on an
> old laptop that I use at work. As it has a small disk the Linux base
> port is not installed. But the PDF file I was trying to read (see
> source below) has all the source quotes with monotype font
> unreadable.
>
> When I fit the page in the window, those text pieces turn out as
> horizontal lines, when I magnify the page all I can get is blank
> space. At home I got Adobes Acrobat for Linux port installed and I
> can see those source quotes. They look weird, rough etc. but I can
> see them. What came to my mind is also, I got some font problem, but
> I don't seem to suffer from it in any other application.
>
> I wrote to the author of the howto, and he says I should try xpdf.
> Well, AFAIR gpdf is a port of xpdf into Gnome widget set. Just
> compiled and what I see, is even better picture than from Acrobat.
> The text lines are in place.
>
> I made shots with Acrobat, xpdf and gpdf windows side by side to
> compare the effects.
>
> Screenshots:
> http://www.smyrak.com/~smyru/screenshots/gpdf/

Strange, I don't see any horizontal lines in 13 page in my gpdf and it
renders fine. I get the very ugly rough font same thing in the 13 page
with Acrobat, xpdf and gpdf, so it might be some font that we don't have
installed or the author of HOWTO mess them up.

Cheers,
Mezz

--
bsdforums.org 's moderator, mezz.