Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 09:37:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPv6 in -current

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, John Hay wrote:

> > > And even better if we could list both. :-) I think the needs of the
> > > FreeBSD group is diverse enough that this isn't unreasonable.
> >
> > The needs are one thing; the capabilities quite another.

OK, is this all true then?

1) We all want IPv6 added to the kernel.
2) There are two good contenders for the role of provider for this code,
   and they've both given quite a bit of work.  They both could and
   would have their own committer do the work.
3) One reason for the delay, then, is a reasonable unwillingness to
   choose between 2 good possibilities (and possibly insult the losing
   team of developers, who clearly don't deserve any kind of insult).

Would it be a reasonable thing to ask, that there be held an electronic
debate?  It need not be broadcast realtime ... the idea being that each
team of developers be given the clearest possible chance to put forward
their ideas in a sort of a debate-type encounter.  This could be done
via email to a 3rd party, a moderator, who would accumulate the results.
If it was done via email, then (although it would be slower) it would
not turn on momentary mistakes in phrasing so much as ability to present
themselves; such a dialog could take up to a week or more to actually
accumulate some presentable weight.

At the end of some prearranged time, or on agreement (earlier) of both
participants that they've given their best shots, the results could be
made public.  A decision could be made by a prequalified user base,
either everyone who registers (register for voting?  what an idea) or
maybe committers.

This would serve to give the ideas their best airing, allow the
developers to present their cases in the lowest possible pressure
consistent with public disclosure, and probably give the loser at least
the feeling that they'd certainly been listened to, so their would be
less likelihood of injured feelings.  And, FreeBSD would most likely to
get the best IPv6 implementation from it.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).