Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 07:39:25 -0800
From:      Dale Morris <dlm@well.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   printing question

freebsd version 4.5
epson stylus color 600 printer

I'm new to freebsd from the debian/redhat/slackware world and I want to
get printing working in freebsd. I thought I had it with apsfilter but
when I tried to print a test file with abiword, the output was..

%!PS-Adobe-2.0
%%Creator Abiword
%%Title /usr/home/dlm/abiword_test.abw
%%Orientation: Portrait
%%DocumentPaperSizes: Letter
%%DocumentNeededResources font NimbusRomNo9L-Regu font NimbusRomNo9L-Regu
%%EndComments
%%BeginProlog
  /FSF {findfont exch scalefont} bind def
  .....etc.................

What I would like to do is set up cups. I did the 'make install clean'
in the relevant ports directories, but when I try to setup my printer
using the  http://localhost:631/admin command, I get the error that
Netscape is unable to locate the localhost:631

I guess my questions are:

How do I remove/disable lpd?
How do I install cups?
Do I have to reconfigure any file permissions?

thanks
dale