Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:04:59 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Script to monitor battery status on X220

Hi,

I forget yesterday to share these two scripts:

http://www.alogreentechnologies.com/freebsd/checkbattery

checks the battery status of an X220 and shuts the machine down when the battery falls to 2% or below.

The status is checked every minute.

It calls the following script to shut the machine down:

http://www.alogreentechnologies.com/freebsd/poweroff

You must run the first script as root to enable it to power the machine off at the end.

I found that the battery life of my machine was higher using a simple window manager like blackbox compared to things like GNOME or KDE. This might depend on the usage pattern.

Erich