Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 1995 10:19:08 -0700
From:      James Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>
To:        Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org, jrb@cs.pdx.edu
Subject:   Re: Netscape and mime.types?

Your message <199508211136.GAA09011@bonkers.taronga.com>:
>Jordan...
>>Netscape has the annoying property of not dealing with .au files
>>by default, but its default "Helper Applications and Proxies" page
>>simply refers to a file named:
>
>>	/usr/local/lib/netscape/mime.types
>
>>A file with which it is not distributed.
>
>They assume you have a working metamail configuration already, and expect
>you to point the entry at the existing mime.types file.
>
>Metamail is really kind of soggy and hard to light.

For what it's worth, strings on my freebsd netscape shows up the following:

/usr/local/lib/netscape/mime.types
/usr/local/lib/netscape/mailcap
%.900s/.mime.types
%.900s/.mailcap

Presumably the latter two indicate that it is checking the
~user/.netscape files too; i.e., user level override on system level
settings.

				regards,

				Jim Binkley
				jrb@cs.pdx.edu