Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:23:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   One or more if {disklabel,mdconfig,newfs} broken for small , file-backed md file systems.

For small devices (unclear definition of small), the following (changed
from swap to vnode from the mdconfig man page example) is broken:

sproing# dd if=/dev/zero of=foo bs=1024000 count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
1024000 bytes transferred in 0.234674 secs (4363498 bytes/sec)
sproing# mdconfig -a -t vnode -f foo
md0
sproing# disklabel -r -w md0 auto
sproing# newfs /dev/md0c
cylinder groups must have at least 2 cylinders
sproing# disklabel -r md0
# /dev/md0c:
type: unknown
disk: amnesiac
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 1
sectors/cylinder: 63
cylinders: 31
sectors/unit: 2000
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c:     2000        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 31*)

"large" devices (such as 128mb) work fine.  It's not clear to me what the
actual breakage is here, since my knowledge of the FFS/device stuff is
weak; however, it would be nice to be able to do what I'm trying to do.
:-)