Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2006 08:17:03 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, trustedbsd-discuss@TrustedBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New in-kernel privilege API: priv(9)

Quoting Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> (from Wed, 13 Sep 2006 =20
15:29:14 +0100 (BST)):

> privilege list in src/sys/priv.h:

>         PRIV_UFS_SETQUOTA,      /* setquota(). */
>         PRIV_UFS_SETUSE,        /* setuse(). */
>         PRIV_UFS_EXCEEDQUOTA,   /* Exempt from quota restrictions. */

Is this something special to UFS, or did you use the UFS part only =20
because no other filesystem in the tree has support for quotas?

> - It makes it possible for the MAC Framework to allow policies to grant
>   privilege.  Policy modules can register interest in privilege checks, an=
>   then specifically grant access to privileges as they see fit.
>
> In order to demonstrate MAC Framework integration with the privilege
> system, I have implemented a sample policy module, mac_privs, which
> allows rule-based granting of privileges to specific uids.  Using a
> command line tool, appropriately privileged processes can modify the
> rule list, granting named privileges to unprivileged users.  This is
> not a particularly mature example of a privilege-granting policy, as
> ideally privilege is something that is available but not always
> exercised -- i.e., similar to a setuid root binary that switches the
> effective uid to root only when it specifically needs privilege.
> However, it's quite useful in practice, and demonstrates how
> configurable policies can interact with kernel privilege decisions.

> It is my intent, following review, discussion, cleanup, etc, to commit
> the priv(9) work, sans mac_privs, to the 7.x tree in the next couple of
> weeks. The mac_privs policy is a sample policy that will continue to be
> maintained as part of the TrustedBSD Project, but not merged into the
> base tree at this point.

Is the mac_privs policy just a proof of concept? It would be nice to =20
allow more fine grained access to some users or applications. The =20
later one would need some way to identify the application/binary in a =20
safe way, maybe by using extended attributes in the FS.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Real programmers don't write specs -- users should
consider themselves lucky to get any programs at all and
take what they get.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137