Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 19:43:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freeway.dcfinc.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        asmodai@wxs.nl, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, small@FreeBSD.ORG, abial@nask.pl
Subject:   Re: Trinux (+ a proposal)

As I recall, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> OK, dumb remark mayhaps, but what would be the benefit of using different
>> scripting languages for every nook and cranny in the OS? I mean, we're
>> using Forth in the new boot{loader|strapper|configuration} and then we are
>
> It's not sufficient to the task.  Forth is a fine language for small
> boot programs and such, but I wouldn't want to write complex UIs or
> anything else in it.

I headed the project that wrote the entire baggage sorting and handling
system for American Airlines at the Los Angeles airport.  We did it on
PDP-11/34A processors running Forth.  I believe Forth is sufficient for
much more than "boot programs and such".

Perhaps you're saying =you're= not sufficient for the task.  Or learning
a new language would be too much hassle.  Or the user community won't be
able to deal with it.  Or something.  Those are not language
sufficiency issues.

Sorry.  Touched a nerve there.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com chad@larsons.org chad@anasazi.com larson1@home.net