Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 10:57:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proper uses for MFS?

:Hello,
:
:I'm writing an article on Memory File System, just because I think
:it's massively cool.
:
:We had a thread some time ago on why MFS wasn't useful for certain
:applications.  I searched through the mail archives, and found lots of things MFS wouldn't be right for, but not much of the other way around.
:
:What are some good, reasonable use for MFS nowadays?
:
:Thanks,
:==ml

    MFS is very useful for diskless workstations (BOOTP boots).  You can
    mount / and /usr and so forth read-only, and then mount R+W MFS partitions
    for /var, /var/tmp, even /etc to make your diskless workstation look
    more like a normal machine.

    MFS can also be used in combination with union mounts to make read-only
    partitions appear to be writable.

    I don't particularly like to use MFS for 'large' partitions, mainly
    because cached data blocks wind up in core memory twice (once in MFS's
    memory map, and once in the VM page cache).

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>