Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2002 12:15:37 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Andrew R. Reiter" <arr@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SMPng biweekly updates

On Friday,  4 January 2002 at 17:50:46 -0500, Andrew R. Reiter wrote:

> I propose a biweekly mini-email that goes out to -smp that is essentially
> an outline of what's being done, what's being discussed, what needs to be
> done, and any design changes/thoughts.  I'd like to think of it as a cvs
> log dump for the SMPng project for a two week period.  Essentially someone
> would track the changes to the repo (p4 and cvs) and conversations that
> happen randomly (irc, private email, mailing lists) and generate this
> outline.  I believe then that this would be an easy transition into
> generating a monthly status report that are accurate and are helpful to
> those who are not following -smp.  Also, if we had had these, it would be
> an easy way for someone who worked on the project but went on vacation to
> come back and easily understand what has occured (or atleast allow for
> making it extremely easy to find out what's changed).
>
> I am volunteering to do this job...  But, what Im interested in is seeing
> if those out there listening are interested in having this done...

I think this would be a good start.  IMO It's not enough, though.  It
seems to me that the real issue is that we don't have an overall
strategy for SMPng.  We had the beginnings of one, but it changed, and
currently what we're seeing is detail work rather than the
implementation of an overall architecture.  We need to discuss that,
and IRC isn't the place.  Bosko started something a couple of weeks
ago, but it didn't get anything near enough response.  If we want
SMPng to be a success, we need to address that issue first.

Greg