Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:02:43 +0100 (MET)
From:      Marco Bisio <marco.BISIO@st.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installation Problem

I'm working with the 4.1 version of FreeBSD (August 2000) and I'm going
to install it on my notebook pc. The configuration is as follow:

1) P54 150MHz
2) 32 MB Ram
3) 10x CDROM
4) Opti-Based chipset
5) 6GB HD, divided between Linux and FreeBSD; FreeBSD is located in a
2GB partition under the top (from 4 to 5.9MB + 0.1 MB swap area)

My problem is as follow: the installation begin (I can't boot directly
from the CD so I have built  the kernel and the mfs floppy), I choose
the partitions, the distribution I like to install, the Source media
(Atapi CD-ROM); the installer start to work but it is unable to finish
the installation; almost randomly the installer stops leaving the PC in
a frozen state.

1) The CD I used is ok; I have installed it on other PC without any
problems;
2) The Notebook HD/CD seems to work weel; I have installed Linux in
another partition without any problems;
3) I tried to disable Block-Mode and 32 Bit-Mode; the installation seem
to go better, but it stop anyway, in the same state;
4) I tried to re-masterize the CD-ROM, without any results;
5) The kernel configuration show 8 conflict at startup; they are due to
the network driver I have removed; no conflict appear at the top of the
screen;
6) The disk geometry is the same disk I see under Linux in LBA mode
(730/255/63);
7) I tried to remove the PCMCIA cards from the slots, without any
results;
8) the log windows does not write anything interesting; it froze during
listing all the binaries that are going to be installed on the HD (for
example, it stops sayng /bin/mv -> without any error)

Can someone, please, help me ? Do you have any suggestion ? Thank you
very much for your help.

					Marco Bisio

  *       This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons       *
 | Marco Bisio                            phone :(+39)-039-6036237   |
 | STMicroelectronics         ___________ fax   :(+39)-039-6036251   |
 | Central R & D - I.S.D.G.  /  __/_  __/ e-mail:marco.bisio@st.com  |
 | Innovative Systems        \ _ \ / /    e-mail:mbisio@deis.unibo.it|
 | Design Group             /____//_/                                |
 | Via C. Olivetti 2                     WWW   :www-micro.deis.unibo |
 | 20041 Agrate Brianza (Milano)                .it/~bisio/          |
 | Italy                                                             |