Date:      Mon, 11 May 1998 15:48:17 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Michael Cronk <michael@one.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

> I am aware that whenever you establish a user PPP connection that the port
> associated with the connection is 3000 plus the tunnel device number used.  My
> question is, whenever you use tunneling (i.e. a TCP-type PPP connection) does
> this follow the same philosophy.  For example, just say I have the receiving
> machine setup to receive connections on port 2800... basically I am a little
> confused as to what goes on from here.  In general, what I want to do is set
> aside the ports 3000 -> 3004 for dial-out and dial-in connections, and
> 3005 -> 3049 for tunneling connections.  Now take the following scenario for
> example:  say I have established 3 dial-in connections and 1 dial-out (i.e.
> ports 3000 -> 3003), then a tunnel comes through (on 2800; and hence,
> now 5 tun devices) then another dial-in connection comes in (hence, now 6 tun
> devices being used), does it get assigned to port 3005.  Hope I've explained
> it in a manner that u can understand \=].

This is possible in the MP branch of ppp.  It hasn't been archived
and made available yet - a few things need ironing out.

In this version, you don't get a diagnostic socket at 3000 any more,
instead you must specify it in your config file.  If you use a +
sign, you can base the port on your tun unit number:

  set server +3000 mypassword

For your scenario, you can simply have to configuration profiles, one
with the above line and the other with

  set server +3004 mypassword

This stuff should be available soon - I'll announce it when it is.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;