Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 1995 15:35:38 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with initial FreeBSD (2.0.5 CD) installation attempts

Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com> wrote:

> no that is quite legal the s number refers to the slot in the 4 element
> array.. in that case the 3rd slot isn't marked as 'valid'.. that's all.

Hey...when grasping at straws, even the slightly out-of-the-ordinary gets a
second look. Hmmm...now that you mention it, I could swear I saw the phrase
"invalid partition table" at some point during all of this, but definitely not
when I was collecting geometry and partitioning numbers for my plea for help.

> > ** have / & some misc stuff on the wd0s2 slice.
> > ** use the sd0s2 slice as a swap partition for both Linux & FreeBSD.
> > Presumably this would involve laying a disklabel on it (I seem to remember
> > Joerg Wunsch describing this recently) from /etc/rc* somewhere.
> no.. to use the whole slice,
> you just need to add a line in your fstab for /dev/sd0s2
> (do it after you're installed)
> don't label it..

Cool...it doesn't care what "type" the partition is marked? or if there are
any magic signature numbers in there to designate it as a swap area?

> > ** use the sd0s3 slice for my /usr partition.
>
> you must disklabel THAT to have usr and more there..

Yup...the disklabel process in in the installation procedure takes care of
that. I DO manage to get everything installed - the trouble is that things go
loopy shortly thereafter. I even got as far as snagging some of my config
files for UUCP/cu and dialing out at one point.

Thanx,
Scott Blachowicz    Ph: 206/283-8802x240    StatSci, a div of MathSoft, Inc.
                                            1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                           Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org