Date:      Thu, 02 Nov 1995 19:31:51 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        pgf@american.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what's counted in RSS and VSZ?

>    - how can RSS ever be bigger than VSZ?

   Except for the program binary itself, the VSZ doesn't include mapped files.
Shared libraries are mapped files. I thought about "fixing" this, but it is
very complicated and probably has too much associated overhead. I may still
try to fix it for a future release of FreeBSD.

>    - why are the VSZ numbers for the two different builds different?

   In the shared case, the VSZ doesn't include the code in the shared
libraries. In the non-shared case it does.

>    - where would this be documented, if indeed it is documented at
>	all?  (i'm not complaining if it isn't -- i'm mainly curious
>	about where to look for this kind of info.)

   It should be documented in the ps manual page, but the information may very
well be incomplete or wrong.

-DG