Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 11:11:58 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        khetan@chain.iafrica.com (Khetan Gajjar)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, mark@grondar.za, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems

> > Disable TCP extensions.
>
> Sorry to be SUCH a newbie; where do I disable this ? In inetd, or
> services ?

/etc/sysconfig; change:
	tcp_extensions=YES
to:
	tcp_extensions=NO

> > With RFC 1323 enabled, the BSD code causes part of the header area
> > which is compared to be modified (specifically, a generation number,
> > if my memory is correct).
>
> I actually think it is a routing problem as such. I mean, that is what
> I think (I know nothing, so your opinions are very *highly* regarded).
>
> Do you think it could be due to routing ?

Well, I don't think a routing problem would effect the speed; if there
were a route problem, the packets just wouldn't get through in one
direction or the other or both.  For a PPP link, it's not something
like "they get through, only slowly" like you would get with an
ethernet card with a bogus IRQ setting (only for some cards).

> And how do I disable the tcp extensions ?

See above.

> What advantage/disadvantage are there to them ?

The advantage is they enable transactioning.  You'd need to read the
new Steven's book for a full explanation, but basically, it cuts
packet overhead in about half.

The problem with PPP is that a seperate internal count structure should
be used so that PPP compression can be used.  Any changes to the
header (including the count structure that is *always* updated by T/TCP),
and the compression isn't done on that particular packet.

There was a discussion of this on the -hackers list a while back, asking
about relative compression statistics when compared to Linux.  The Linux
numbers were several orders of magnitude better (ie: compression was
used more frequently) than BSD because of the compression defeat cause
by the header "changes" by T/TCP.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---