Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 08:00:22 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: using 5.0-RELEASE

# rehsack@liwing.de / 2002-11-25 00:26:32 +0100:
> just a question to the possibilies using 5.0-RELEASE. In the "early
> adopters guide" (chapter 1) it's written, that 5.0-RELEASE should be as
> stable as possible to "getting a large number of users to test". But if
> it's not recommented to use it in production environments, what test
> results do you expect?

    that's a dilemma quite a few software dev teams have. the more a
    software needs testing, the less are users willing to use it.

> I know many companies located in Halle (where we resides) which are
> using linux, not because it's more stable but because SuSE tells: it's
> 8.0 and we tested and it's great. The simply believe the recommendation
> of SuSE (or whoever) and if sth. fails, they think: Hmm - nothing paid,
> who really cares?

    SuSE's not here to create the best software possible. They're here
    to make the most money possible. Just business. (They happen to have
    based their business on open source, but that's irrelevant.)

    Basically, you are comparing apples to oranges: FreeBSD, the
    operating system, to SuSE GmBH. I'm sure that if FreeBSD was a
    trademark of (and developed by) FreeBSD, Inc., we would be reading
    the same stuff about it.