Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 21:32:26 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, jak@cetlink.net, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tickadj -t not changing tick

In message <199807212010.VAA20743@awfulhak.org>, Brian Somers writes:
>[Follow-up-to pointed at freebsd-mobile]
>
>> >Hmm, I have a timer problem with a Compaq Presario (notebook).  It
>> >seems that the timer chip (i8254 is the only one probed) is acting a

It seems to me that this gadget has something which is hosed or at least
doesn't react as we'd expect it to.

Without access to the machine it is all but impossible for me to isolate
the problem, but if you're not afraid to look at some weird C code,
the right place to look is in sys/i386/isa/clock.c, startrtclock() and
thereabout.

What chipset does this machine use ? a compaq invention ? if so they
may have done something stupid to the timers in the 8254.

"ttyv0" -- What UNIX calls a $20K state-of-the-art, 3D, hi-res color terminal