Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 2014 00:54:26 -0700
From:      Rui Paulo <rpaulo@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org" <freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [rfc] INJECT mode for net80211

On Aug 9, 2014, at 23:41, Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>=20
> I kinda got fed up with the lack of functioning inject.
>=20
> * monitor mode isn't inject mode;
> * ahdemo mode seems .. less useful.
>=20
> So I just created IEEE80211_M_INJECT and taught net80211 / ath about
> it. This is like monitor mode (straight to RUN, no need to set an
> SSID, no auto scanning by default) but it allows transmit and
> populates the node table with temporary node entries.
>=20
> So:
>=20
> =
http://people.freebsd.org/~adrian/ath/20140809-net80211-ath-inject-1.diff

This patch looks incomplete.  Did you forget to diff sys/net?

> I'd like to commit this in the next couple of days.
>=20
> I've also tested this with aircrack-ng - the built port didn't work
> with monitor mode modified to inject frames. I don't know why. Rebuilt
> from source worked fine. I've just modified my local copy to set the
> IFM_IEEE80211_INJECT flag rather than monitor flag and it seems it's
> all okay.
>=20
> The only issue I've seen with packet injection is that aircrack-ng
> isn't waiting until the interface is up before trying to send frames,
> so some are rejected rather than buffered.

In general, I'd prefer to have one mode.  aircrack used to work in =
monitor mode, so I'm surprised the problem is the lack of an inject =
mode.  Looking at the code, you're pretty much defining INJECT to be =
MONITOR mode.

--
Rui Paulo