Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:54:37 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: IA64: Back on topic

At 12:45 PM 7/16/99 -0400, W Gerald Hicks wrote:

 > Cygnus has one. You need to be under NDA with Intel to get it, of course.
>                                        ^^^
>
>Look at that word you used twice here.  Perhaps this has a small
>effect on people's willingness to get involved with the Merced?

Sorry, but companies -- especially hardware companies -- will always
want to keep competitors from knowing their plans. There's nothing
immoral about that. They're not under any obligation to tell you anything
they don't want to. (If they were, it'd be just as bad as the forced
disclosure required by the GPL.) One of the reasons I advocate the
BSD approach is that it allows people to choose whether or not to
give away their work.

The NDAs will expire by the time the chips are available in quantity,
so users of the code won't have to do without source.

>I hope the FreeBSD project will mostly ignore the Merced until
>it works.  In this context "works" means a helluva lot more than
>executing instructions.

This sort of attitude is PRECISELY why FreeBSD is so far behind Linux.

--Brett Glass