Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:43:26 +0200
From:      Ander <ander@angels.org.ua>
To:        David Somayajulu <david.somayajulu@qlogic.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dev/ixgb and dev/ixgbe

Hi!

> I would really appreciate if someone can help me understand the difference between the above drivers from Intel. Is one of them for older hardware ?

They support different chipsets.

You can try to use "man" ;)

The ixgb driver provides support for PCI Gigabit Ethernet adapters based
     on the Intel 82597EX Ethernet controller chips.

 The ixgbe driver provides support for PCI 10Gb Ethernet adapters based on
     the Intel 82598EB Intel(R) Network Connections.

--
Andriy Radyk aka Ander aka Ender