Date:      Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:19:16 +0200
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: serial terminal direct connection to remote host at login

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:56:19 +0200
"Karl M. Joch" <k.joch@kmjeuro.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i have some 4.10 systems with local connected serial terminals. now
> the problem is, that the terminal should connect to a remote host when
> they are switched on and prompt for the login at the romote host.

perhaps you can use conserver for that, even if it is designed to do the
opposite (ie. manage remote attacjed serial consoles)?
It's in ports, see
ports/comms/conserver
ports/comms/conserver-com

If not, you will have to look for a way to set up someting like the
following:
- automatic login on local machine (as an unprivileged user)
- automatic connection to remote host (perhaps via .profile or somesuch

Hmm, there is an 'autologin' entry in my /etc/gettytab, and gettytab(5)
explains about the 'al' capability. This allows you to to autologin as a
specified user, at least.

There is also the 'lo' capability, which controls the program to execute
once a name is obtained, usually '/usr/bin/login'. I don't know it it is
possible to change this into, say ssh and have the teminal automatically
connect to another machine.

HTH
 --
Yours,