Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 2014 23:07:48 -0700
From:      David Benfell <benfell@parts-unknown.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   About the black screen (Otherwise solved) Re: All of a sudden, problems with X

This is a MIME GnuPG-signed message.  If you see this text, it means that
your E-mail or Usenet software does not support MIME signed messages.
The Internet standard for MIME PGP messages, RFC 2015, was published in 1996.
To open this message correctly you will need to install E-mail or Usenet
software that supports modern Internet standards.

--=_munich.parts-unknown.org-12720-1406009268-0001

Polytropon writes:

>> So how would I get a prompt back in this situation?
>
> That's a really hard question. :-)
>
> In situatins where X is exiting, but failing to restore the
> text mode console, there usually is no real way to cure this
> problem. I had a comparable problem with my nVidia graphics
> card when switching to text mode from a running X with the
> Ctrl+Alt+PF1 key combination - black screen, "no signal",
> switched back Ctrl+Alt+PF9 - X as expected, and back Ctrl+Alt+PF1 -
> and the text mode was there. However, when X is _not_ running,
> switching "back and forth" is impossible. You could try to
> blindly enter "startx" and hope it helps. It probably won't
> help...

There is a note in UPDATING (did I read it beforehand? Of course not.)
about some video chips--including Intel, which mine is--that says that
Ctrl/Alt/F[n] won't work. Apparently X isn't cleaning up after itself
correctly when exiting either.

So the message here seems to be, once you start X, you'd better be happy
with it. Because you might not be leaving (short of a reboot).

But what this also suggests is that, should I need it, the Xorg.conf.new I
generated might actually be okay. Because it's the exit that's screwed up
rather than anything to do with the configuration.

Thanks again!

--
David Benfell
See https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 if you do not understand the