Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 16:40:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Ayres" <JeffAyres@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems during installation of XFree86

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Jeffrey J. Ayres wrote:

>         The last communication was concerning enabling the PS/2 mouse
> was
> successful.  The command -c at during the Boot, allowed disabling of the
> device mse0 and enabling the device psm0. Exiting and saving with the
> funtion key "q" saved the kernel settings.  However a new problem has
> presented itself.  After enabling the xdm window manager using the
> editor
> (file /etc/ttys) with the command
> ttyv4 "/usr/XR11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure
> entering root and typing
> xdm -nodaemon
> The window opens with only the upper left corner of the window showing
> asking for the user id and password.  After entering my user id and
> password, the window clears and another window appears with the computer
> name, line number, and cursor.  The cursor doesn't blink, no keyboard
> entries are accepted nor any mouse movement, in words the keyboard goes
> dead.  In order to exit the program the power must be shut down.

To answer you questions:

1.  Edit /etc/XF86Config and change the pointer protocol to "PS/2" and the
mouse device to "/dev/psm0".

2.  The cursor does not blink anyway.  It should be a filled-in block
though when the mouse pointer is in the target window.    You have to have
the mouse in the window you want to type into.

3.  Xwindows is set up with a virtual desktop by default that extends past
the physical borders of your screen.  To fix this, edit /etc/sysconfig,
scroll down to the Screen "accel" section, and under the 8 bit depth
section, adjust the 'Virtual' item to be the same as the resolution you
would like.  (hint: you can change the screen resolution by typing
control-alt-plus & minus.)  Place this resolution as the first one in the
Modes list.  Restart the X server and you should be in business.

Hope this helps.