Date:      Wed,  6 Sep 2000 12:48:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        marcel@cup.hp.com, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM JDK fails due to lack of SA_SIGINFO support

Nate Williams writes:
 > > Currently the IBM jdk & jvm don't run under our linux abi.  This had
 > > previously been attributed to the "sigaltstack: Cannot allocate
 > > memory" message one sees when running it.  Upon further investigation,
 > > this appears to be a red herring.
 >
 > Umm, I'd believe this except that someone sent me a patch (which I've
 > forwarded to Marcel) that fixes this and is related to the sigalstack
 > error above.  At least the author of the patch claims that the IBM JDK
 > now runs successfully on his box, running some version of FreeBSD. :)

Perhaps he's using a different version of the IBM java stuff?  I'm
using the "IBMJava2-SDK-13.tgz" that I downloaded last week.  On a
linux box, (where I can actually get version info) :

java version "1.3.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.0)
Classic VM (build 1.3.0, J2RE 1.3.0 IBM build cx130-20000815 (JIT enabled: jitc))

The change you're referring to isn't all that much different that what
I'd been doing previously (setting MINSIGSTKSZ to 2048 in sys/signal.h).

I tried the change, and it doesn't seem to help at all.

 > > The "real" problem is as simple
 > > (or, rather, complex) as the fact that we don't support SA_SIGINFO
 > > style signal handlers under the linux abi.
 >
 > [ Great explanation deleted ]
 >
 > Hmm, I'm at a loss.  I've heard that things work fine with the
 > signalstack issues fixed, so maybe the java program that he is running
 > doesn't tickle the bug, although I find that rather difficult to believe
 > given that almost every Java program known to man is multi-threaded.

Maybe IBM moved to using SA_SIGINFO handlers for their thread
coordination?

Drew