Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 18:34:24 -0700
From:      "Mark Holloway" <mholloway@flashmail.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Alpha or Ultra 5?

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BEC715.01B2FAA0

I almost made this a long, drawn email asking for advice.  Then I erased =
it because I didn't want to be boring..

Simply put, for the last 6 months I have been SUPER EXCITED to buy a Sun =
Ultra 5.  For $2500, I can get an Ultra 5/270mhz/256k cache machine with =
64MB ram.  I wanted it for the sake of learning Solaris and learning =
system administration tasks on the world's most popular commercial Unix. =
 Then it hit me!  After selling all my legacy equipment on ebay and =
having $2500 in cash sitting here in front of me, I DON'T WANT THE ULTRA =
5!=20

I used FreeBSD for several months last year and I though it was great.  =
It's fast and geared towards the Internet just like Solaris.  The only =
problem I have with buying an Ultra 5 is the cost of upgrading.  Sure, =
$2500 gets me a cheap Ultra 5 with 256k cache and a SpecInt of 10.2 =
(equal to a Pentium II/233 - a 2 year old chip!).  To upgrade the Ultra =
5 from 270 -> 480mhz with 2MB cache is $4000.  The $2500 Ultra ships =
with 8 Bit graphics and EIDE.  The more I re-read the specs the more it =
makes me see Sun is not appealing to me with the "shaved down" machine.  =

Besides, I want to learn "Internet" related administration, not OS =
specific tasks.  That means Apache, DNS, Sendmail, Real G2 Server, =
things that are all available for both Solaris and FreeBSD.  So, I =
figures instead of spending the $2500 on a very low-end Ultra 5, I could =
get more bang for the buck by getting a DEC Alpha..  A very good friend =
of mine sells used SUN, SGI, and DEC ALPHA machines.  He has the =
following system for sale:

DEC Alpha 500a, 128MB, 2MB Cache, 4GB HDA, 16MB PCI Video Card, CD-Rom - =
$1550.00

Simply stated: A Sun machine that is comparable to this is going to cost =
a fortune!  My only question to you, the FreeBSD world (and PLEASE be =
honest), is in regards to learning FreeBSD versus Solaris - is there =
something I will gain by learning Solaris instead of FreeBSD?  I'm an =
MCSE, Cisco CCNA and CCNP who is studying for the Cisco CCIE.  As we all =
know, Cisco and Solaris are the two companies who are most prolific with =
the Internet.  However, we all know FreeBSD lives here, there, and =
everywhere.. FreeBSD is by far the most popular platform that exists in =
multi-vendor environments.  Many shops who use Solaris for one task use =
FreeBSD for 3 more tasks.. It just pops up all over the place. =20

Because I'm spending over $1k this is considered a serious move for me.  =
If I buy the Alpha and install FreeBSD then that's it - there is no =
turning back!  If I buy the Ultra 5, the same thing will happen..there =
is no turning back!  I don't have money to waste...whatever I get the =
first time is what I am stuck with.  My instinct tells me buying the =
Ultra 5 will be fun for the first week but that I'll get frustrated with =
the SpecINT 10.2 performce versus the Alpha's 18.9 performance.  Also, =
keeping up with FreeBSD is much easier..

Are there any known issues with the Alpha I should be aware of? =20

Regards,
Mark Holloway

I appreicate ANY feedback!

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BEC715.01B2FAA0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I almost made this a long, drawn email asking for=20
advice.&nbsp; Then I erased it because I didn't want to be =
boring..</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Simply put, for the last 6 months I have been SUPER =
EXCITED to=20
buy a Sun Ultra 5.&nbsp; For $2500, I can get an Ultra 5/270mhz/256k =
cache=20
machine with 64MB ram.&nbsp; I wanted it for the sake of learning =
Solaris and=20
learning system administration tasks on the world's most popular =
commercial=20
Unix.&nbsp; Then it hit me!&nbsp; After selling all my legacy equipment =
on ebay=20
and having $2500 in cash sitting here in front of me, I DON'T WANT THE =
ULTRA 5!=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I used FreeBSD for several months last year and I =
though it=20
was great.&nbsp; It's fast and geared towards the Internet just like=20
Solaris.&nbsp; The only problem I have with buying&nbsp;an Ultra 5 is =
the cost=20
of upgrading.&nbsp; Sure, $2500 gets me a cheap Ultra 5 with 256k cache =
and a=20
SpecInt of 10.2 (equal to a Pentium II/233 - a 2 year old chip!).&nbsp; =
To=20
upgrade the Ultra 5 from 270 -&gt; 480mhz with 2MB cache is $4000.&nbsp; =
The=20
$2500 Ultra ships with 8 Bit graphics and EIDE.&nbsp; The more I re-read =
the=20
specs the more it makes me see Sun is not appealing to me with the =
"shaved down"=20
machine.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Besides, I want to learn "Internet" related =
administration,=20
not OS specific tasks.&nbsp; That means Apache, DNS, Sendmail, Real G2 =
Server,=20
things that are all available for both Solaris and FreeBSD.&nbsp; So, I =
figures=20
instead of spending the $2500 on a very low-end Ultra 5, I could get =
more bang=20
for the buck by getting a DEC Alpha..&nbsp; A very good friend of mine =
sells=20
used SUN, SGI, and DEC ALPHA machines.&nbsp; He has the following system =
for=20
sale:</FONT></DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>DEC Alpha 500a, 128MB, 2MB Cache, 4GB HDA, 16MB PCI Video Card, =
CD-Rom -=20
$1550.00</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Simply stated: A Sun machine that is comparable to this is going to =
cost a=20
fortune!&nbsp; My only question to you, the FreeBSD world (and PLEASE be =

honest), is in regards to learning FreeBSD versus Solaris - is there =
something I=20
will gain by learning Solaris instead of FreeBSD?&nbsp; I'm an MCSE, =
Cisco CCNA=20
and CCNP who is studying for the Cisco CCIE.&nbsp; As we all know, Cisco =
and=20
Solaris are the two companies who are most prolific with the =
Internet.&nbsp;=20
However, we all know FreeBSD lives here, there, and everywhere.. FreeBSD =
is by=20
far the most popular&nbsp;platform&nbsp;that exists in multi-vendor=20
environments.&nbsp; Many shops who use Solaris for one task use FreeBSD =
for 3=20
more tasks.. It just pops up all over the place.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Because I'm spending over $1k this is considered a serious move for =

me.&nbsp; If I buy the Alpha and install FreeBSD then that's it - there =
is no=20
turning back!&nbsp; If I buy the Ultra 5, the same thing will =
happen..there is=20
no turning back!&nbsp; I don't have money to waste...whatever I get the =
first=20
time is what I am stuck with.&nbsp; My instinct tells me buying the =
Ultra 5 will=20
be fun for the first week but that I'll get frustrated with the SpecINT =
10.2=20
performce versus the Alpha's 18.9 performance.&nbsp; Also, keeping up =
with=20
FreeBSD is much easier..</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Are there any known issues with the Alpha I should be aware =
of?&nbsp;=20
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>