Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:49:21 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        toml@mitre.org (Tom Lehman)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptop for FreeBSD with WaveLan

Tom Lehman stands accused of saying:
> I am preparing to buy a couple of laptops and install FreeBSD 2.2.2. If
> anybody has any recommendations for manufactures/models that they have had
> success with, I would appreciate the feedback.

Right now, the big thing to be aware of is that there's not much in
the way of support for CardBus machines.  In general, most name-brand
systems work quite well; IBM, NEC, Toshiba, Sharp, etc.  We've used
the Sharp PC9000/9030/9070 systems with great success, although you
may have trouble getting these (there is anohter set of 9000 machines
that are CardBus).

> In addition I would like to use PCMCIA (Type II) WaveLAN cards in the
> laptops with WaveLAN ISA in the FreeBSD 2.2.2 desktop systems.  Are there
> FreeBSD drivers available for these cards?  Thanks in advance.

The PAO distribution has a driver for these cards, and the Portland
Mobile-IP code also supports them.  I would stick with the PAO code
just on the basis of simplicity of integration.