Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:44:04 -0700
From:      "Ian A. Tegebo" <yontege@rescomp.berkeley.edu>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Failure Detection

I'm trying to write a nagios check that will run on my gmirror hosts.  I'd
like to know what I should look for to be able to determine if a failure
has occurred.

I took a look at the man pages: gmirror, geom, vinum, and so on but
couldn't find much information about state (DIRTY for instance).  After
searching this list some, I found that DIRTY apparently means that it's
ready to be written to?

Further search revealed that a 'gmirror status' should return something
like "degraded" if a device has failed.  I'm running 5.3 and am not
seeing the 'status' command for gmirror so I'm supposing I'll need to
upgrade.

Where can I find more detailed information about what the output of
'gmirror list' means?  Has anyone come up with a better way then
grepping 'gmirror status' output for 'degraded'?

Thanks,

--
Ian Tegebo