Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 2009 07:27:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      davetbo <dave@itstrategypartners.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rsync colon in filename to MSWin fails

Here's a good workaround.

This works for me from Linux to Win32.  In your rsync script, before the
rsync, do either

find ./ -name '*:*' | xargs tar -czvf colon_files.tgz

or (if you're doing the whole box as an rsync backup, like I am) do

updatedb
locate : | xargs tar -czvf colon_files.tgz

Make sure that colon_files.tgz is in the path that's getting backed up by
rsync.  Then you can do the --exclude '*:*' in your rsync job to skip the
files you just tarred.  I tested this with the locate version above and it
works.  Also, updatedb & locate should go much faster than find if you want
to do the whole box.  I'm not sure if there's a way to use locate to just
search a subdirectory, though.

Best,
Dave