Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 1995 09:49:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@grendel.csc.smith.edu>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "too many notes"

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

> > Finally, things can be helped somewhat by providing better
> > navigation controls which I will work on (after I figure out some
> > cryptic variable names I neglected to document :).  Namely, and a
> > line at the top showing where you are:
> >
> > FreeBSD Handbook
> > Installing FreeBSD : Supported Configurations : Ethernet Cards
> > <i>Previous</i>: Disk Controllers
> > <i>Next</i>: Miscellaneous
>
> And the Up, right?  Let's not forget the Up. :-)

Ah.  You missed it.  Maybe it will need to be more explicit.  In
a WWW browser, everything in this header is a link except
"Ethernet Cards" which is the current page.  "Supported
Configurations" is one link *up*, "Installing FreeBSD" is two
links up, "FreeBSD Handbook" is three links up.

> two copies at once and in multiple languages, at that!  That reminds
> me, we have no top level switch on the pages for selecting the
> language you want them in, but I suppose we can get to that later when
> we figure out just what the heck we're going to do with the whole
> multi-lingual thing.  It's not exactly a _small_ issue, mind you, and

SGML marked sections can be used for such purposes.  Marked
sections behave essentially like an #ifdef FOO ... #endif.  They
could be used for multi-lingual purposes.  They could also be
used to generate subsets of the handbook, such as the install
documents that go on the boot floppy.  I'll have to scratch my
head a couple minutes to figure out the best way to do this.

> we've probably put it off a little longer that we should have even
> now.  Far better would be to scoop all the sysinstall/help/<lang>/...
> files straight into the handbook with the appropriate edits.

> versions of the desired manuals on the install floppies.  Sure and as
> I'd like to stick the HTML versions on there too, of course, but I
> don't think that I'm going to manage to get Lynx on the boot floppy!
> Maybe on the root floppy, maybe..  Hmmmmmmm!  :-)

> That'd still leave at least a few "intro" docs in ASCII though, just
> to tide the user through enough screens to *get* the root floppy
> loaded.

It makes little sense to have both ASCII and HTML on the install
disk since you can probably write a function to program to do
minimal HTML formatting in less space.  Since the HTML from the
handbook is machine generated, error handling need not be as
robust as for a general purpose browser.  Heck, you could
probably even get it to follow simple links to other html files.

-john

== http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============