Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 1998 23:47:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        scottm@cs.ucla.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stable current?

> > For UNI kernels, John's latest round of vm changes seem to be more
> > stable -- OTOH I'm not really pushing things that hard either.
>
> Rather than announcing the system is "better", I have been holding
> out until someone else sees it.  The only thing(s) that shouldn't
> be working are the layered filesystems.  Those thing(s) are really
> broken, and absolutely no Lite/2 derivative has them working properly.
>
> Because of the structure of the merged VM/Buffer cache, we haven't had them
> working for, a long time but now at least we have a better chance of someone
> fixing them.

That's not the only problem; I've identified most of them at one time
or another...

Were you out here (Bay Area) last Thursday for McKusick's talk at
Network Appliance on FS stacking?  I didn't go to that one, but I
talked to him for about half an hour about a month ago, and he
seemed to agree with most of what I identified (plus added a thing
or two that I hadn't thought of before).

The single biggest problem has *got* to be alias buffers hung off top and
bottom vnodes in a stack.  The vop_getpages/vop_putpages interface needs
to become mandatory for all FS's.  No more sneaking around it in the
vnode pager.  That should solve most of the nullfs and single-layer
stack FS problems up front, so long as you don't expect locking to
work.  A real fix will require a VOP to ask for the backing vnode where
the buffers and locks are hung off of; until then, I don't think unionfs
has a chance of being safe to use.

					Terre Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---