Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 22:13:54 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Marco Trentini <m.trentini@remotelab.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: broken images?

--hnsKUeImFCk/igEn

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:26:36AM +0100, Marco Trentini wrote:
> Alex Dupre ha scritto:
> >Wednesday, February 19, 2003, 9:17:57 PM, you wrote:
> >
> >MT> Hello, I have noted which the handbook and any articles in rtf-pdb=
=20
> >formats MT> (take from ftp.freebsd.org) have broken images.
> >
> >MT> Is it right?
> >
> >I think you would mean that translated documentation, built with images
> >taken from the en_US original tree, doesn't contain such images in
> >formats like pdf, rtf, pdb. This issue doesn't appear with html,
> >html-split, txt. Right?
> >If so, yes, I've just noticed it. (See the vinum chapter of the French
> >Handbook for example, pdf version, no images)
> >How can we fix it, without copying the images in the other trees?
>=20
> All right, but the rtf-pdb issue concern both the original documentation =
and
> translated documentation.

IIRC (and it's been a while) the toolchain doesn't properly support
images in RTF.  I've sort of swept this under the carpet and hoped it
would go away :-)

A couple of solutions spring to mind.  We could make the RTF files use
the ASCII art instead of the images, which would work.

Alternatively (and prompted by the earlier message from Garrett), we
could drop support for RTF.  I have no idea how popular a format it is
(although the fact that you're complaining about the lack of images
indicates that at least some people are using it).

As for the PDB format, I don't know.  Images certainly used to work
there.  I'll try and dig my Palm out over the weekend and have a look.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \=
 ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/=
_)

--hnsKUeImFCk/igEn

--hnsKUeImFCk/igEn--