Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2014 12:08:00 +0200
From:      Harti Brandt <hartmut.brandt@dlr.de>
To:        Vladislav Prodan <universite@ukr.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some gruesome moments with performance of FreeBSD at over 20K interfaces

On Wed, 9 Apr 2014, Vladislav Prodan wrote:

VP>b) Service bsnmpd started at 12K interfaces, but immediately loaded CPU
VP>at 80-100%

I could imagine that this is because of the statistics polling. bsnmp
implements 64-bit interface statistics but we have only 32-bit statistics
in the kernel. So it polls the kernel statistics for each interface on a
rate that ensures that 32-bit don't overflow. If the interfaces are GBit
or, worse, 10GBit interfaces the polling rate is rather high (in the order
of seconds).

You should either make sure that the interfaces report sensible bitrates
(I doubt that 20k interfaces could all be GBit interfaces) or force a slower
polling interval by setting begemotIfForcePoll.0 to some large value.

harti