Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:40:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ASUS A7M266-D: enabling 'on board sound'

huh, bet this might be an smp problem....

works like a champ on my ASUS board.

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Morning all ...
>
> 	Just recently picked up an ASUS A7M266-D Motherboard with Dual:
> "(AMD Athlon(TM) MP Processor (1200.05-MHz 686-class CPU)" ... the system
> purrs like the proverbial kitten ... but the one thing that is eluding me
> so far is getting the onboard sound to work ...
>
> 	I think I've gone through just about everything ... I enabled
> PNPBIOS in my kernel, made sure the sound device was enabled in the BIOS
> ... nadda ...
>
> 	The error I'm seeing in dmesg is:
>
> pcm0: <CMedia CMI8738> at device 4.0 on pci2
> pcm0: cmi_attach: Cannot allocate bus resource
> device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6

this could be one of two things:

1. your version of the CMI8738 might have a new pnp number, but i sorta
doubt it because then you wouldnt get the 'CMedia CMI8738' string.

2. All Your Interrupts Are Belong To Somebody Else!

 the extra bits of tomfoolery involved in getting a second cpu to live in
an architecture than never imagined more than one (daisy chained 8259a's,
still?) may have consumed the available interrupts.

3. Other, more reasonable, but more subtle problems that i cant imagine
:-)

I'd suggest the ol' boot -v and see what you get for a dmesg.....

--

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life