Date:      Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:54:51 -0800
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: any girl my age want to chat about freebsd?

I assure you that postmaster@ is subscribed to chat@ (but would have no
incentive to be subscribed to a chat-up@).

> Maybe we need to start putting the list charter
> in an auto-included footer along with the "unsubscribe"
> stuff that nobody reads either?  Of course, it's pretty
> vague ...

chat@ is essentially a catch-all for anything left over if no other list
@FreeBSD.org is appropriate, and the topic has some demonstrable
connection to FreeBSD or the FreeBSD Project.  After all, if folks on
chat@ can discuss Jordan's cats....

That said, folks are expected to (mostly) be sufficiently mature to
behave themselves:  I doubt you folks want the additional latency of my
involvement for most mailing list messages, so I'm reluctant to impose
draconian measures.  (That latency would add an average of about 12
hrs., usually.)

I respectfully submit that a mailing list is unlikely to be an ideal
forum for the type activity in question -- especially if it (like chat@)
is archived, with publicly-accessible archives.  :-}

Peace,
david   (current hat: postmaster@freebsd.org)
There is a place in software engineering for an appreciation of history.

See http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for public key.