Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 1997 14:40:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: bin/3269: exec pppd -detach ... caused a kernel panic

The following reply was made to PR bin/3269; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>
To: ortmann@sparc.isl.net
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 07:29:23 +1000

 On Sat Apr 12 03:43:42 EST 1997, Daniel Ortmann writes:
 > no special environment needed.  (I was running bash2.)

 I think a special environment *is* needed. Perhaps the trap info
 when your system crashed would be informative?

 > As root I exec'ed the following command from the shell and
 > brought down the system instantly:
 >
 > exec /usr/sbin/pppd -detach connect "/usr/bin/chat -v -f \
 > 	/etc/ppp/chat.dial" /dev/cuaa2

 I execute almost exactly this commandline routinely on three
 3.0-current boxes, with and without the detach. Only the
 filenames are different. Two of them are even run from /etc/ttys
 where the -detach parameter is mandatory to stop init spawning
 bunches of them and then complaining about it being run too
 frequently.

 Regards,

 David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
 Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
 davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/