Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:35:10 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hal and gmirror, gjournal

Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 28/02/2008 23:02 Joe Marcus Clarke said the following:
>> Andriy Gapon wrote:
>>> It seems that hal gets confused by some "g" things.
>>> For example, I have two slices on my hdd: s1 and s2.
>>> s1 contains "primary" filesystems, s2 contains gmirror counter-part for
>>> s1a and gjournal journals for s1d and s1e.
>>> In the end, it's hard to say to which slice belongs a gmirror using s1a
>>> and s2a as underlying providers. Probably to none. But hal insists on
>>> rooting everything into a strict hierarchy and it seems that it does a
>>> poor job at qualifying such GEOM configurations.
>>> Please find lshal output here:
>>> http://www.icyb.net.ua/~avg/lshal.txt
>>> I used hal-device-manager to visualize the topology.
>>>
>>> P.S.
>>> exact info:
>>> ad4s1 and ad4s2a are combined into gmirror named rootfs
>>> ad4s1d is data provide and ad4s2d is journal provider for ad4s1d.journal
>>> ditto for 'e'
>>>
>>> And, for example, hal qualifies ad4s2d (journal provider) as a parent of
>>> ad4s1d.journal (the 'gjournal-ed' partition).
>> In the future, always include everything listed at
>> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q19 when reporting hal problems.
>
> Thank you for the pointer to this extensive information.
> Additional data is attached.
>
> P.S. the instructions have --verbose-yes for hald command, it should
> '=yes' ('-' vs '=').
>
> P.P.S. this info should be also applicable to the other problem that I
> described (dvd-ram+fat32).

According to GEOM the .journal volume is a child of the main volume.
That is, ad4s2d is the parent of ad4s2d.journal.  So hal is reporting
this correctly (and this is what I see on my home machine which is using
gjournal).  I'm not sure why you think this is a problem since you mount
the .journal node in fstab.

As for the mirror problem, I'm not sure how to fix that.  The mirror is
a child of two nodes which violates the tree structure.  I'm open to
suggestions or patches.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke