Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 2008 04:28:38 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Lukas Razik <freebsd@razik.name>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Issue with 7.0-RELEASE and Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 01:15:02PM +0200, Lukas Razik wrote:
> I've tried the newest snapshot and as you told it works fine! :-)
> My onboard NICs are recognized now and I can use them without any problems.
> It's interesting because I've seen no changes in the last days here:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/re/if_re.c

I can't explain what's going on then.  The last commit I see for
RELENG_7 was two weeks ago.  I don't know what versions of the kernel
(uname output please) you were trying where the NIC wasn't working.

> However, this issue is solved for me and also another one which I haven't
> mentioned yet. Because when I wanted to install 7.0-RELEASE from CD then there
> came the FreeBSD boot menu with a timer which runs from 10 to 0 seconds, you
> know...
> But there was a bug in the past: The timer didn't work (only the cursor under
> the time value "10" has blinked very fast) and I had to play with my [ESC],
> [SPACE], [ENTER] keys to push the boot process...
> Now in 7.0-RELENG_7-20080905-JPSNAP the timer also works fine.

This probably has to do with loader(8) fixes within the past few weeks,
specifically with regards to interrupts.  I can point you to the commit
if need be.

> BTW: As I wrote you some weeks ago, I wanted to buy a HighPoint RocketRAID
> 3120 card, run some benchmarks under FreeBSD and tell you the results. I have
> the card for some hours now but it isn't recognized by 7.0-RELENG_7-20080905-
> JPSNAP...
> I will start a new thread for this issue but at first I want to test it with
> the newest RELENG_7 kernel from CVS...

The 3120 card is supported by the hptiop(4) driver.  If you're having
problems with it, you should report the problem to Highpoint directly.
They write the driver themselves, but gets someone with src commit bits
to commit the code for them.