Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:09:31 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/37465: Handbook needs new section

--z6Eq5LdranGa6ru8

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 03:20:55AM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2002-04-25 14:35, Rich Morin wrote:
> > On the sparse occasions when I use the server's own keyboard and monito=
r,
> > I am continuously annoyed by system error messages.  Hitting ALT-F[1-6]
> > does nothing to eliminate these, so I generally remove myself to my
> > own desktop machine and do my administration from there.  Is there a way
> > to tell the system error messages to go only to the ALT-F1 screen?
>=20
> Edit your syslog.conf :-P
> If it's the default syslog.conf of FreeBSD, it will include this:
>=20
> $ grep dev/console /usr/src/etc/syslog.conf
> *.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console
>=20
> You want to remove (or comment) that line.

Or maybe not exactly this one, but the others that send the output
to 'root' or '*'.  Yes, I know those are gone in -stable and -current,
but an older system would still have them.  This is the *very* first
thing I remove on a FreeBSD box, ten seconds into the first boot :)
(I see how they might be useful to somebody who sees FreeBSD for
 the first time, though.. or rather, I see how they might have seemed
 useful - apparently, others, too, have considered them Not Fun(tm)
 enough to remove them :)

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
You have, of course, just begun reading the sentence that you have just fin=
ished reading.

--z6Eq5LdranGa6ru8

--z6Eq5LdranGa6ru8--